Friday, April 9, 2010

Obsession with film - having never shot film!?!?

Poser. That's the word the comes to mind when I look at myself in the mirror. I now own an old Minolta from my grandmother with the serial numbers scratched into the lenses (that's some sweet history) AND a Nikon FG. Why? Because I'm a poser.

...or is it something more? A love for all things photography that I simply cannot explain. I find myself carrying my D300 almost everywhere I go, despite it being a large camera. (What I wouldn't give for a D40 or a D50... yes, a D50 with the AF motor and LCD display.) But, yes, something smaller and lighter would be nice.

Why the Nikon FG? Because I got a killer deal on it. I almost bought an Ai-S 50mm f/1.8 a yesterday for $50. Why? Because Lindsey from www.bellaluphotography.com encouraged me to look into manual focus lenses and learn my system. And I chose to do so. Not because I'm a follower who does what better photographers tell me to do, but because it was a great idea - something I'd never thought of. Oh sure, I'd manual focused some stuff in the past, but forcing myself to manual focus on a somewhat regular basis will teach me some classic photography skills. And so instead of just an Ai-S 50mm, I picked up an old Nikon 50mm f/1.8, along with a Nikon FG, some Vivitar gear, filters, instruction manuals, old Kodak photography books - all for $80.

Man... I always felt like I was the guy who got the short end of the stick. Almost a day late on a "killer deal" on Craigslist. But yesterday I found one, and the seller was actually a great guy!

-Nikon FG
-Nikon MD-E Battery Grip (Motor Drive)
-Nikon 50mm f/1.8
-Nikon SB-E flash w/ SS-10 case
-Vivitar 28-85mm f/3.5 - f/4.5
-Vivitar 75-300mm f4.5-f5.6
-Vivitar75-205mm f/3.5-f/f4.5 multiplier
-Tons of filters
-Instruction books
-Cleaning kit

Here's some photos:








1 comment:

  1. AWESOME! :) I can't wait to see what you experience with that new yummy gear!!!!

    ReplyDelete